Friday, November 20, 2020

In Tribute to Victor Marrero

I was honored to attend the first remote meeting of the Richard Sicking Inn of Court in Miami on November 19, 2020. As the technology was checked, I was informed that Victor Marrero had passed away earlier in the day.  

In 2000, I attended a meeting of the Statewide Judicial Nominating Commission, during the WCI conference at the Marriott World Center. It was among the first years at that venue. I was introduced to Victor Marrero; he was a vice president with Marsh and McClennan. He was genuine and curious. We had a brief opportunity to discuss Florida's workers' compensation laws. He was passionate about the law and how it impacted people. As I reflect, it may be I am incorrect on that year, but I knew Victor for about 20 years. 

I came to know Victor better as the years passed. As my role changed, my involvement with the Commission became more regular. Victor was elected Chair and served in that role so long that we jokingly referred to him as "Chair for life." He left Marsh and became the Director of Risk Management for the Broward County Sherriff's Office. He was passionate about wellness concerns and affording employees an opportunity to participate in them. He spoke often of such concerns about people and their well being. He was a risk manager, but persistently returned to the subject of people. 

After almost a decade of service at Broward County, Victor was hired by the Seminole Tribe of Florida as their Risk Manager. Having taken a short break from the Nominating Commission, he returned to service there. He attended the meetings, engaged the applicants, and studied this system. 

Throughout the time I knew him, he was passionate about the Workers' Compensation Claims Professionals (WCCP). He had undertaken their Board Certification training, and earned certification years ago. He later came to serve on the WCCP Board. I recall an animated legal conversation with him at a Holiday Conference not long ago, so typically Victor. He was a persistent student, constantly wanting to better understand this law, community, and the people in it.

As I write this, I keep coming back to the word, "serve." Victor was about service. He was never merely in the Florida workers' compensation community, he served it. He was engaged with the people who labor in it. He had passions, and workers' compensation was one about which he was not shy. But, he was most passionate about people, encouraging them, promoting them, empowering them. Victor loved people.

And, as I got to know him better, I discerned his passion for God. Victor was a man of God; not someone who merely spoke of belief, but who lived his faith. He was about Christianity and about his faith. It was a deep and abiding part of who he was and how he was. It was foundational in the interest he took in people. It was evident in his service to this community.

I will miss Victor, and our conversations about workers' compensation and more. I will not be alone.